"I feel like I'm in Disneyland," remarked AC as we strolled through the center square of Prague.
Truer words were never spoken. Largely untouched by the devastation and subsequent modern-looking rebuilding that we saw in Berlin, this city had much of its old-world charm remaining.
Our new friend Jamie (that we met on the train) had lived in Prague about 15 years ago teaching English. He made a college try at giving us a tour of the city, but the memories were a bit cloudy.
"I think they moved some stuff since I was here," he joked.
"The buildings weren't blasted in Prague in World War II" we replied. "It should pretty much be the same!"
"Well I was blasted pretty much the whole time I lived here! That's the problem." We all silently nodded in understanding.
He generously rented a car and driver to give us a tour. I'm no car-expert, but this car was an antique! So old that as we attempted the steeper hills he had to manually adjust the gas mix.
"You have to be both a driver, tour guide and mechanic with these old cars," he explained.
The tour of the city was beautiful. We then took a quick tour of the Jewish quarter of the city. Including the impact from the holocaust in WWII, the sites detailed the years of prejudice and persecution they suffered even before that. A highlight was the Jewish cemetery, which had the creepy feel I was looking for at Stonehenge but never got. Interestingly, space was at such a premium that there were literally buried on top of each other. In some places, they are buried 10+ levels deep.
At this juncture, we took a temporary split from our friends, Adam and I heading over to Vienna and Jamie and Kevin to Budapest to rejoin, maybe, at a later date.
I'm Going to Disneyland!
Saturday, July 5, 2008
Posted by AJ at 12:59 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment