Let me just come right out and say it -- I didn't care for Zurich. It's not that it was particularly bad or anything, but it wasn't particularly good either. The kicker for me was the expense!
I realize I was complaining about the exchange rate when we were using British pounds and was glad to start using the Euro. We heard that Switzerland didn't use the Euro, but little did I know how fiercely independent they were. The Swiss franc is about even with the US dollar, but damn everything is so expense. Just to give you a taste:
Paperback book - 22.00
McDonald's Happy Meal - 12.00
Plate of Nachos - 20.00
Bottle of Corona - 8.50
Cheapest bottle of wine - 50.00
Lunch on the train - 100.00
That lunch hit particularly hard. A plain chicken breast on top of some noodles with four beers shared among our friends. Ouch!
To make things even more interesting, our hotel was directly above a complex of gay bars. We should have been suspicious when each nightstand had a pair of earplugs free of charge. Nothing is free in Zurich my friends, but our room was pretty loud. AC had trouble sleeping because he kept hearing Madonna songs and got too excited to sleep.
We're now headed into Italy for our final leg of our European tour -- Italy. I've only been to Venice and all I remember is the dirty water and pickpockets. Let's hope for a pleasant surprise!
Zur-ick!
Monday, July 14, 2008
Posted by AJ at 1:23 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Well Italy is my favorite European country. I loved Venice. Even with all the tourist you can get lost in the maze of passage ways and not hear a sound. ahh! i'm jelous. and that Madonna thing cracked me up. cuz you know, adam, i would be the same way!! -julia
I absolutely love this entry as I just finished David Sedaris' new book...When you are engulfed in Flames and the suttle reference to Adam getting to excited to sleep overhearing Madonna songs from the bars downstairs is perfect!!!! Justin, you should contact David to see if he ever uses guest or ghost writers...have a great time you guys. JBopp
Hey guys!! Sounds like you are having an awesome time!!
Australia and New Zealand are ON! I hope you might still be there in November? I will be there the whole month with two girl friends! I will send you our itinerary when it gets closer to the date!
Jen in SF!!
Miss ya!
hey boys, I am finally getting around to bookmarking your blog - I thought I did a while ago - but alas. NO! The trip is sounding amazing.....BTW did you know AM Sevsick is in Geneva? Thanks for sharing and I look forward to hearing more.........
Wow - I can't believe the prices, that's crazy! I'm excited to hear how your next leg of the trip goes...I've been checking every day for new posts. You're posts just crack me up, I love reading them. Tell Adam hi for us too!
Love you - Tracy
Post a Comment