Allah says, take two steps forward ...

Monday, September 15, 2008

Islam is a topic that I (or maybe all of us from the US) try to avoid. I will admit I have only a basic understanding of their beliefs and history, most of which I find interesting and disturbing. I am no fan of any organized religion, but my heart really breaks for the women of Islam.

We were intrigued by the various levels of covering required for women. Most at least covered their heads and wore loose fitting robes to hide their figures. The next group wore all black (I'm sure that is delightful in the hot sun) and only had a slit for their eyes. The last group bothered me the most - absolutely nothing was shown. Their eyes were guarded by a mesh screen and also wore long black gloves.

The only time I almost lost my cool was while we were staying by the pool at the hotel. We had some free time our last day, and decided to actually enjoy the sun for a change. Other families joined us, an interesting mix of locals and Westerners. One particular woman emerged through the hotel doors loaded down with all her family's pool supplies (I have no idea how she saw where she was going). Her husband promptly stripped down to a speedo and lounged in a chair barking orders at his black-clad wife as she ran to fetch food, drinks, take care of their child and essentially act like a servant. All the while she ran around the pool in 100+ degree heat wearing all black and not a inch of skin showing.

I later read A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, which fictionally details the lives of women in Afghanistan under the rule of the Taliban, which was simply heart wrenching. I find it so interesting that in most major religions, "God" (be it Christ, Allah or Tom Cruise) sure seems to have it out for the ladies. They either have to honor and obey, or cover their whole bodies or maybe have their genitals mutilated -- all because God commands it. Too bad all the Gods are dudes, huh? If there were chick Gods, you know guys would be the ones dealing with periods, childbirth and menopause ...

0 comments: