Stonehenge, etc

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

AC and I got a chance to sneak out of the city and spend a little time in the English country side. Salisbury was a natural choice because we really wanted to see Stonehenge! We did have several arguments over the proper pronunciation of the city (AC kept saying 'salisbeery' like a nasally American while I opted for the more local-sounding 'salisboory').

The site of Stonehenge was ... interesting. We were hoping for a somewhat-creepy, secluded area, but unfortunately there is a road right next to the site and an ugly chain-link fence around it (which I guess is necessary because assholes still try and vandalize this 4000+ year old treasure). There's a constant stream of cheapskates who also run around the perimeter fence and take their picture in front of the monument ... through the fence. That's the stuff memories are made of.

For what it lacked in ambiance, it made up for in its amazing construction. Like the pyramids, they are unsure how they were able to elevate the heavy stones to such huge heights (some weight as much as 25 tons and are nearly 40 feet in the air). They also demonstrated early carpentry techniques like mortise and tenon joints to keep the structure strong. They also aren't quite sure what it was used for, but it's likely some type of celestial calendar. Depending on the month, the sun shines through a different section of the columns. Pretty genius!

We also made our way over to Salisbury Cathedral which houses one of the four remaining copies of the Magna Carta. It was in shockingly good condition, and would be totally readable if not for the surprising fact that is isn't written in English. I think I should have studied history more closely apparently. And geography as well since I thought Stonehenge was in Ireland.

Speaking of Ireland, we arrived in Dublin today. We are currently watching the evening news in Gaelic (AC says, "it sounds like he's talking backwards!). The agenda is open, with the exception of kissing the Blarney Stone. We're told that the locals pee on it and then laugh at all the dumb tourists as they pucker up ...

A sample of our photos can be found using the "Photos" link above.

0 comments: